After debate, Boynton Beach to continue with red-light camera program

Capture

The red-light camera program will continue in Boynton Beach for at least another five years.

The City Commission voted Tuesday night to extend the city’s contract with American Traffic Solutions to May 2021. Commissioners had the option of cancelling the contract but chose not to.

To read more Boynton Beach stories, click here.

Boynton is the only municipality in Palm Beach County to have the program.

Municipalities stopped their programs about October 2014, when the 4th District Court of Appeal said Hollywood’s program violates state law by relying on a third-party vendor, ATS, to issue the citations.

But Boynton attorneys have said their program is different because an officer reviews the potential violation or citation before such notice is issued. But not everyone agreed. On April 1 2015, a judge tossed about 200 citations and issued a standing order on all tickets in his division.

The city stopped the red-light camera program in late April 2015, and gave ATS a chance to amend the program to make it legal in the eyes of the courts.

In August, the commissioners decided to enforce the program again with the option to cancel the contract this year. As part of the deal of using the program again, ATS decreased the monthly camera fee by $500 to $4,250 and the city didn’t have to pay the fees for three months.

A few changes were made to the program, and since then magistrates and officers in red-light hearings have determined Boynton’s program is “sound,” city documents said.

Click here for the full story.