Boynton Beach Police Chief Jeffrey Katz held a Town Hall meeting last week and gave some stats about his department. Here they are:
- The department hires 1.2 percent of those who apply. That’s 26 hires out of 2,159 who applied over a year and a half. Chief Jeffrey Katz describes them as “first-round draft choices.” They hope to hire those with a college education, who represent minorities, who have prior police experience and who are veterans.
- Officers responded to 63,221 calls for service in 2015. That’s a 10 percent increase from 2014.
- They gave out 5,796 citations in 2015.
- They made 2,394 arrests in 2015. 95.2 percent of those arrests did not involve use of force.
- They investigated 3,029 traffic crashes in 2015. Eleven people died.
- Police made 8,255 extra patrols in 2015.
- They investigated 18,998 code compliance calls.
- From 2013 to 2015 police encountered 318 firearms.
- One person was shot by police in that same time period.To read more Boynton Beach stories, click here